New items are in BOLD, all others items are reminders from previous emails.
Congratulations to our Site Administrator, Andrew Yoxsimer, for earning his PhD last weekend!
1) Incline’s Alumni Athletes would like to throw a BBQ for all the IHS athletes from this year, to celebrate a great year and congratulations for our 7 State Titles we got this year. It will be on June 10th at 6:00 pm at the Cornerstone Church (which is at the corner of Hwy 28 and Country Club). The cost will be $5.00 (for now - it could be free later). Thank you and hope to see everyone there.2) If your teenager is getting a driver's permit or license this summer, please remember that you will need to provide the new Certificate of Attendance form to the DMV. Check with your high school regarding summer hours.
IHS UPDATE: For the DMV form to be completed in the summer the request MUST be given at least 5 working days prior by phone or in person.
Beginning January 1, 2015, anyone under the age of 18 who applies for an instruction permit, driver’s license or driver authorization card must provide the DMV with proof that he or she meets the minimum Nevada school attendance requirements.
The applicant must submit a Certification of Attendance (DMV 301) form when applying for an instruction permit. When the student comes in to take the driving skills test, a new DMV-301 is required to be submitted, regardless of when the instruction permit was issued. A DMV-301 must be submitted if the student renews an instruction permit as well.
- Students attending high school must have the principal or other school official complete Section 1 of the form.
- Students who are excused from attendance requirements because of disability or home schooling must have a parent or guardian complete the first part of Section 2.
- Students who have completed high school or the equivalent must have a parent or guardian complete the first part of Section 2, complete the second part of Section 2 and provide a diploma or a Certificate of High School Equivalency.
These requirements do not apply to applicants 18 and older regardless of school attendance or status.
The Certification of Attendance form is also used to suspend or deny the driving privileges of a student who has been declared a habitual truant.
New laws effective 1/1/15 spell out the process used by schools to declare a student truant.
SEE ATTACHED FORM. (Certification of Attendance)3) Students and Parents;
Please check out this website for free practice and tips for test taking on this new website;
We were hoping to share our completely FREE ACT prep site (recently showcased on FreeTech4Teachers & being used by more than several hundred other schools), and which features:
- 99th percentile instructors
- thousands of practice questions (which kids seem to love)
- gamification elements to keep kids engaged (also very popular!)
We're looking to help the thousands of kids who can't afford the hundreds of dollars for a Kaplan-type prep class.
4) Please see attached information for two new summer school classes we are offering at the high school for all incoming students, grades 9-12. (Yes! Current 8th graders are eligible for these courses!) There is a separate application for the PE class as it is offered during a later time frame. It is important for students to understand that THEY CANNOT MISS ANY SESSIONS due to the compressed nature of the course. There are also no fee waivers.
5) If you are interested in being a cheerleader for IHS this coming Fall Season, please attend this clinic. Call Coach Summers to reserve a slot. 775-298-2775 home, 925-519-0608 cell.
6) Summer Job Opportunity for Graduating Seniors
Attention seniors! Are you still looking for summer work? Vector Marketing is currently accepting applications for summer job openings in customer sales and service. The starting pay is $15.00. They have flexible schedules and a really fun work environment. You must be a graduating senior to apply. Check them out at www.vectormarketing .comor see Mrs. McLochlin for info.
7) The 2015 Incline Star Follies photos are online for viewing and ordering
8) Upcoming CYMBAL & School Music Events:
May 28th 2:15pm 1st & 2nd Grade Spring Music Program at IES
May 29-30th IMS Music in the Parks Band Trip & Competition in Bay Area
June 3rd 7pm Incline High School Spring Concert
June 4th 7pm Incline Middle School Concert & Raffle Winners Drawn
June 6th Incline High School “Night Out” for Music Students
June 12th 2:15pm 5th Grade Music Program at IES
June 17th 10am Kindergarten Show & Promotion at IES
9) INCLINE HIGH SCHOOL SUMMER DRIVER EDUCATION CLASSTUESDAY - FRIDAY, JUNE 23 - 26, 8:00 AM - 3:30 PM
Either class fulfills the 30 hours in the CLASSROOM requirement for a Nevada driver's license for those under 18. Students between the ages of 15 and 18 can attend. The cost is $94. (Sign up now, price increases to $99 on July 1, 2015.) Parents are responsible for the 50 hours behind-the-wheel requirement.
To sign up, go to http://truckee.augusoft.net and under Kids and Teens Programs click on Driver Education and then sort by school location. Or call 829-9010 to register over the phone with a credit or debit card.
WCSD offers an online version of this 30-hour class. The cost is $89. (Sign up now, price increases to $99 on July 1, 2015.) Students have access 24/7 and 60 days to complete the online class. To sign up, go to http://truckee.augusoft.net or call 829-9010 to register over the phone with a credit or debit card.
11) Come join the Booster Board!
Be a part of our mission of "More than one child, for more than one year."
Boosters supports IHS in the academics, arts and athletics. This year with your support we have made a huge push in technology, buying new desktop computers for the library and 90 new laptops (with carts).
We have also contracted with a college counselor to provided career and college advice for IHS students.
Join our efforts to bring the best education possible to Incline High School!
12) IHS is in need of a washer and dryer. If you have one or both that you can donate, please IHS and speak with Val Jackson (832-4260, option 4).
13) Due to the success of our College Planning Parent Workshop on March 25th, the IHS Boosters have contracted with Alex Ellison to bring the following workshops to IHS. Juniors and Sophomores will be attending during 1st period. We hope to be able to bring more workshops to all IHS students in the 2015-16 school year.
❖†College Admissions Myth-Busters Workshop
common misconceptions about college admissions and reveal what you need to know about planning for college.
❖†Building the College List
discover how to identify your college criteria, how to get the juicy information on a school and what to look for in a good fit.
❖†Inside College Admissions Case Study
See what the college admissions process looks like by putting students in the shoes of admissions officers as they review student applications.
And watch for sign-ups for a FREE one-on-one college counseling session with Alex during the first two weeks of June. (provided by the IHS Boosters)
14) If you have an IHS PE t-shirt that you are no longer using, please consider donating it to the school for use by students that are in need. Thank you!
15) SCHOOL CLIMATE SURVEY
Please take a moment to fill out this survey by June 12, 2015. The information you provide will help all schools build better partnerships with parents and students. All of your responses will be kept confidential. Please fill out the raffle ticket to win a prize from one of our sponsors. Please go to www.washoeschools.net and click on the Parent Climate icon on the main page to take the survey.
16) The 2015-16 IHS Course Offering Book is available HERE.
17) Please sign up for and/or attach your Raley's Something Extra account to the Raley's Extra Credit program and specify the Incline High School Boosters as one of your recipients.
Go to http://www.raleys.com/www/scrip_home
And make sure to use http://smile.amazon.com/ch/88-0232960 when shopping on Amazon.
LIKE Incline High School Boosters on Facebook (www.facebook.com/InclineHSBoosters) to keep up-to-date on IHS happenings, including recent scores and results from our Highlander teams!