Congratulations to Valerie Pober, National Merit Scholar, for signing with UNR this week.
You and your family are cordially invited to the Baccalaureate Ceremony for the Incline High School Class of 2015 Sunday, June 14th, 2015 St Francis of Assisi Catholic Church Mt Rose Highway at Kelly Drive Incline Village, NV Procession of Graduates begins at 2:00 PM Seating will be available at 1:30 PM Photo opportunities and refreshments immediately after ceremony
2) Please come support the arts at our annual student art show! Wednesday, June 3rd, 5 – 7:30 pm. Location: Small Gym
All art students will be present (artists’ reception) to exhibit and talk about their work. We have also invited alumni student artists to come exhibit their current work along with our current students. This is the first time we have done that and it is in honor of this being my last student art show at IHS. We hope to see you and your families here! Thank you! Ann
Ann M. Clark, M.F.A.
I.H.S. Art Teacher/Art Dept. Leader
National Board Certified Teacher
3) Graduation Practice / Scholarship Night Rehearsal will be on Wednesday 6/17 at Noon in the Lg Gym. Lunch will be provided for seniors and supporters.
4) Incline High School is pleased to announce two great opportunities for students to get ahead on high school graduation credits this summer! We will be offering Computer Literacy from June 22 to July 10 from 7:45 a.m. to 11:45 a.m. Monday through Friday. This class will be taught by Joanne Devine. We are also offering "Tahoe Lifestyle PE" from July 21 to August 6. The times on this class are mostly from 1-5 in the afternoon, although there are two full days. Please read the attachments to this email that explain in detail the times and dates of the PE class, which will be taught by Tim Kelly. Both classes cost $100 each, which must be paid to the Incline High School bookkeeper. Sign up before the classes fill up!
5) The Board of Trustees wants your feedback. We are in the process of selecting the next permanent superintendent for the District, which is the Board's most important function. We want your input on the characteristics that are important to you for the next leader of our schools. There is a short survey on the home page of our website-- www.washoeschools.net-- that we hope you will complete. Your feedback is important to us. Thank you!
6) The last IHS Boosters meeting of the school year is on Monday 6/1 at 12 noon in the conference room behind the office. At that meeting, next year's officers will be voted on. The proposed slate is:
President: Sharon Schrage
VP: Melissa White
Treasurer: Tracy Cohn
Secretary: Amy Smith
Technology Chair: Mary Danahey
Strategic Planning Chair: Nancy Mayrose
Membership Chair: Kathie Goldberg
Community Liason: Jayne Findlen
If you would like to vote on this slate, please either respond to this email with your vote, or attend the Monday meeting.
7) Incline’s Alumni Athletes would like to throw a BBQ for all the IHS athletes from this year, to celebrate a great year and congratulations for our 7 State Titles we got this year. It will be on June 10th at 6:00 pm at the Cornerstone Church (which is at the corner of Hwy 28 and Country Club). The cost will be $5.00 (for now - it could be free later). Thank you and hope to see everyone there.
8) If your teenager is getting a driver's permit or license this summer, please remember that you will need to provide the new Certificate of Attendance form to the DMV. Check with your high school regarding summer hours.
IHS UPDATE: For the DMV form to be completed in the summer the request MUST be given at least 5 working days prior by phone or in person. School Attendance Beginning January 1, 2015, anyone under the age of 18 who applies for an instruction permit, driver’s license or driver authorization card must provide the DMV with proof that he or she meets the minimum Nevada school attendance requirements. The applicant must submit a Certification of Attendance (DMV 301) form when applying for an instruction permit. When the student comes in to take the driving skills test, a new DMV-301 is required to be submitted, regardless of when the instruction permit was issued. A DMV-301 must be submitted if the student renews an instruction permit as well. Certification of Attendance (DMV 301)
For drivers under 18 to show proof of school attendance.
- Students attending high school must have the principal or other school official complete Section 1 of the form.
- Students who are excused from attendance requirements because of disability or home schooling must have a parent or guardian complete the first part of Section 2.
- Students who have completed high school or the equivalent must have a parent or guardian complete the first part of Section 2, complete the second part of Section 2 and provide a diploma or a Certificate of High School Equivalency.
TruancyThe Certification of Attendance form is also used to suspend or deny the driving privileges of a student who has been declared a habitual truant. New laws effective 1/1/15 spell out the process used by schools to declare a student truant. SEE ATTACHED FORM. (Certification of Attendance)
9) Students and Parents; Please check out this website for free practice and tips for test taking on this new website; We were hoping to share our completely FREE ACT prep site (recently showcased on FreeTech4Teachers & being used by more than several hundred other schools), and which features: - 99th percentile instructors - thousands of practice questions (which kids seem to love) - gamification elements to keep kids engaged (also very popular!) Here's a special invite link if you'd like to check it out: www.prepfactory.com/invite We're looking to help the thousands of kids who can't afford the hundreds of dollars for a Kaplan-type prep class.
10) Summer Job Opportunity for Graduating Seniors
Attention seniors! Are you still looking for summer work? Vector Marketing is currently accepting applications for summer job openings in customer sales and service. The starting pay is $15.00. They have flexible schedules and a really fun work environment. You must be a graduating senior to apply. Check them out at www.vectormarketing .com or see Mrs. McLochlin for info.
11) The 2015 Incline Star Follies photos are online for viewing and ordering:
12) Upcoming CYMBAL & School Music Events:
June 3rd 6:30pm Incline High School Spring Concert
June 4th 7pm Incline Middle School Concert & Raffle Winners Drawn
June 5th TBA Incline High School “Night Out” for IHS Music Students
June 10th 2pm 5th Grade Music Program at IES
June 17th 9:30am Kindergarten Show & Promotion at IES
13) INCLINE HIGH SCHOOL SUMMER DRIVER EDUCATION CLASSTUESDAY - FRIDAY, JUNE 23 - 26, 8:00 AM - 3:30 PM
Either class fulfills the 30 hours in the CLASSROOM requirement for a Nevada driver's license for those under 18. Students between the ages of 15 and 18 can attend. The cost is $94. (Sign up now, price increases to $99 on July 1, 2015.) Parents are responsible for the 50 hours behind-the-wheel requirement. To sign up, go to http://truckee.augusoft.net and under Kids and Teens Programs click on Driver Education and then sort by school location. Or call 829-9010 to register over the phone with a credit or debit card. ____________________________ WCSD offers an online version of this 30-hour class. The cost is $89. (Sign up now, price increases to $99 on July 1, 2015.) Students have access 24/7 and 60 days to complete the online class. To sign up, go to http://truckee.augusoft.net or call 829-9010 to register over the phone with a credit or debit card.
14) IHS is in need of a washer and dryer. If you have one or both that you can donate, please IHS and speak with Val Jackson (832-4260, option 4).
15) Due to the success of our College Planning Parent Workshop on March 25th, the IHS Boosters have contracted with Alex Ellison to bring the following workshops to IHS. Juniors and Sophomores will be attending during 1st period. We hope to be able to bring more workshops to all IHS students in the 2015-16 school year.
June 2nd ❖†Building the College List discover how to identify your college criteria, how to get the juicy information on a school and what to look for in a good fit. June 9th ❖†Inside College Admissions Case Study See what the college admissions process looks like by putting students in the shoes of admissions officers as they review student applications.
16) SCHOOL CLIMATE SURVEY Please take a moment to fill out this survey by June 12, 2015. The information you provide will help all schools build better partnerships with parents and students. All of your responses will be kept confidential. Please fill out the raffle ticket to win a prize from one of our sponsors. Please go to www.washoeschools.net and click on the Parent Climate icon on the main page to take the survey.
17) Please sign up for and/or attach your Raley's Something Extra account to the Raley's Extra Credit program and specify the Incline High School Boosters as one of your recipients.
Go to http://www.raleys.com/www/scrip_home
And make sure to use http://smile.amazon.com/ch/88-0232960 when shopping on Amazon.
LIKE Incline High School Boosters on Facebook (www.facebook.com/InclineHSBoosters) to keep up-to-date on IHS happenings, including recent scores and results from our Highlander teams!